Celebrations and cultural moments are great opportunities to raise both awareness and money. By matching the right occasion with the right audience, you can create real energy. Mother’s Day is the perfect case in point. Use Facebook to leverage Mum’s special day and connect with your supporters.
Four ways to get the most from Mother’s Day
Verified charity Pages can now create a fundraiser from their Page. Set a goal and a deadline for your fundraiser. Supporters can donate directly on Facebook in just a few clicks. NOTE: Page fundraiser creation is currently available on desktop for verified Pages using Facebook’s Charitable Giving tools.Business admins of a Page can only create a fundraiser through Business Manager.
How to create a fundraiser:
- Visit facebook.com/fundraisers/
- Click the Raise Money button.
- Select the charity that you want the fundraiser to benefit when asked “Who are you raising money for?“
- Click the drop-down prompt under “Who is organising the fundraiser?“. The person creating the fundraiser will see their personal profile, along with any other Pages they admin that are eligible for creating fundraisers. Select the charity Page that you wish to create a fundraiser for.
- Add a fundraising goal and deadline, and hit Next.
- Fill in the title and description of your fundraiser, and click Next.
- Last step: pick a cover photo. Then click Create, and your fundraiser will be live to the public.
Facebook is a great place for people to share their passions. This makes it an ideal place for them to raise money for their favourite charity. (Yours!) They can share their personal stories, tell friends about your mission and rally around a fundraising goal.
Facebook offers plenty of effective, easy-to-use fundraising tools. Encourage your supporters to use them in honour of Mother’s Day. You can’t go wrong with any of these three proven strategies.
- Create a fundraiser
- Go live with a donate button
- Add a donate button to their posts
Don’t forget: You can use your charity’s custom landing page to showcase your supporters’ fundraisers and inspire other followers to create a fundraiser for themselves. Every landing page has a unique URL that can be used anywhere – in email marketing, in Facebook posts, on your website or via other channels. Learn more.
Facebook Live gives your supporters a unique opportunity to share experiences as they occur. This can be especially powerful during defining cultural moments. By adding the donate button to their live video, these events can be leveraged to raise money for your charity. All it takes is a verified Page on Facebook. Viewers can contribute in real time or after the video has been posted.
How supporters can add a donate button to their live video:
- Your charity must be signed up to use Charitable Giving tools. See requirements.
- Once you’ve been approved, supporters can go to the Facebook app on an iOS mobile device and, in the post composer, tap the Live button.
- Before going live, tap on the “…” button for more options on the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Tap the add donate button and select the benefitting charity.
- Go live, and the donate button for the charity you selected will be attached to the bottom of your live video, allowing friends or fans to donate directly from the video as they watch or after you’ve posted the video to your Page.
- People will be able to see how much money has been raised.
Build momentum in advance
Giving supporters advance notice about your Mother’s Day fundraising goals and activities is a great way to engage them in the process. They’ll help you spread the word! Consider adding a donate button to your posts if fundraising is your primary objective.
Share stories that inspire
Is there an example of how somebody’s loveable mother has benefited from your charity’s work? Now’s the time to share it. Creativity is always encouraged. The story could take the form of a poem, letters or a song. Better still, consider using Facebook Live to create a memorable storytelling event.
Encourage people to act
Asking supporters to submit posts that celebrate their mum is a surefire way to motivate engagement. You could even challenge your supporters to host a fundraiser in honour of their mum.
Promote Mother’s Day gifts
Mum’s are easy to love, but they’re not always easy to shop for. You can make it easy by posting a list of “Top ten Mother’s day gifts” to your Facebook Page or website.
Leverage your influencers
Maybe you know a community member or public figure who is a mother or who has a mum with an inspiring story to tell. Invite them to share their story on Facebook Live. If they are willing, ask them to make a donation to your fundraiser and share that to their own Page, explaining why they donated.
Create visual posts that your supporters can share
A picture is worth a thousand words. It can also be a powerful way to engage supporters. If you have a designer, consider creating a visual that pays tribute to Mum’s special day. Encourage your followers to “borrow” it for their own use.
Create and share a Mother’s Day profile frame
Profile frames are a fun new way for Facebook users to express themselves. They can also give your Mother’s Day campaign an extra visual boost.
To sign up for Facebook’s Charitable Giving tools, go here.