Make your birthday even more meaningful
Every day more than 45 million people give birthday wishes on Facebook, which is why we’re excited to give people the opportunity to create fundraisers for their birthday and make it even more meaningful.
We’ve seen people using Facebook to dedicate their birthday and raise money for the causes that they care about. For those in the US, we’ve made it easier to do this by giving people and public figure Pages the opportunity to create a fundraiser for their birthday directly on Facebook.
About birthday fundraisers
Two weeks before their birthday, people will see a message from Facebook in their News Feeds giving them the option of creating a fundraiser for their birthday. They can create a fundraiser for any of the 750,000 US charities available for fundraising on Facebook. Creator’s friends will receive a notification inviting them to support the cause in honour of their friend’s special day.
How to create a birthday fundraiser
1. Select the cause that you care about
2. How much do you want to raise?
3. Tell your story
4. Pick a cover photo
5. Congratulations! Your fundraiser has been published! Invite your friends.
6. Match donations
7. Match amount
Birthdays have always been a special part of Facebook, and we hope to continue providing you with a variety of birthday fundraising experiences that make celebrating on the platform fun and meaningful for you and your friends.
Recommended best practices
- Identify charities that are aligned with your philanthropic goals.
- Leverage a dedicated community across multiple channels and platforms to drive awareness to your Facebook Page fundraiser early in the campaign.
- Involve your audience — interact with fans on your fundraiser Page to incentivise and get fans excited about the goal.
- Schedule a live video to talk to your fans about the cause and why it matters to you.
- Monitor the donations and give updates on fundraising progress. Increase goals when necessary.
- Reveal “milestones” and encourage sharing to incentivise giving.
- Say thanks! Remember to thank your supporters early and often.