Fundraise through Instagram
Instagram allows eligible nonprofits and their supporters to raise money for charity directly on Instagram in a few ways — a Profile donate button, Donation Sticker in Stories, and Live Donations.
Instagram Live Donations
Nonprofits can now raise money on Instagram Live by creating a fundraiser that adds a donate button to their Live video. Once you begin your Live donation broadcast, you can see how many people are supporting your fundraiser and the amount of money raised in real-time.
Tap View to see a breakdown of your donors and individual contributions. You can even thank them in real-time by tapping Wave.
Instagram Stories is now used by over 500M daily. The most engaging stories are made in the moment, using a combination of videos, photos, and creative tools to give supporters a window into your every day.
Use the donation sticker in Stories to create a fundraiser, encouraging your supporters to donate to your cause directly on Instagram.
Instagram Business Account Donate Button
The donate button on Instagram allows nonprofits to raise money directly from their Instagram Business Account.
To sign up for Facebook Charitable Giving Tools:
You’ll need 3 things to complete an application to receive donations on Facebook.
- A PDF copy of a bank statement from the last 3 months (you will need to upload this as part of the application). Submitting a statement that is older than 3 months will cause a delay in your application being approved.
- The name and date of birth of your organization’s CEO or Executive Director.
- Your organization’s tax ID number (EIN or VAT number), which verifies your charitable tax exemption status.
The application must be completed in full and progress cannot be saved.
Please ensure you have the required information and documentation before you get started. To complete the application, click the downward arrow next to your nonprofit or charity organization page. Then, proceed to Donations Account Setup. To learn more about the requirements for collecting donations on Facebook, review the Frequently Asked Questions. To get support, contact us.
To switch a profile to a business account:
- Go to your profile and tap in the upper right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to Professional Account.
- Tap Business.
- If you’d like, you can follow the steps to connect your business account to a Facebook Page associated with your business. This step is optional, and will make it easier to use all of the features available for businesses across the Facebook family of apps. At this time, only one Facebook Page can be connected to your business account.
- Add details, like your business category and contact information.
- Tap Done.
With a business account, you’ll be able to access additional features and Instagram Insights. These tools can help you understand who is engaging with your nonprofit on Instagram.
To start a Live video fundraiser from the Instagram app
- Tap in the top left of Feed or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Scroll to Live at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Fundraiser on the left.
- Select the nonprofit you want to start a fundraiser for by scrolling down or typing their name into the search bar at the top.
- Tap to start your Live video fundraiser.
Once eligible you can use the donation sticker:
- In Instagram, open the camera and take or upload a photo that best highlights your cause.
- Tap the sticker icon.
- Select the donation sticker from the tray.
- Select a nonprofit organization.
- Customize your fundraiser using Stories’ creative tools.
- Tap Send to. Then tap Share next to Your Story.
You can add multiple images or videos to build your fundraising story.
Frame it. Kickstart your donation ask with photos, videos or an explanation of what your cause is and why it matters.
Define Impact. Tell the story of what the donations will help to accomplish.
Get Creative. Use a photo and creative tools like emojis, gradient text and filters to illustrate the purpose of your cause.
Highlight. Use the highlight feature for Stories so supporters have access to your donation story for more than 24 hours. Highlighting a story pins it to your profile. You can add anything you’ve posted from your archive and delete highlights at any time.
Repetition. Post the donate sticker in multiple stories for maximum exposure.
Use video. Your supporters are craving video content from you! Instagram users consume 80% more video year after year, and 98% of all mobile video is viewed vertically.
Go Live. Make an announcement, share milestones, or just hang with your supporters while doing your Live fundraiser.
To raise money on Instagram, your nonprofit must:
- Enroll and be approved to use Facebook Charitable Giving Tools.
- Switch to an Instagram business account, if you haven’t already.
- Link your nonprofit’s Instagram business account with your nonprofit’s verified Facebook Page.
- If this is your first time linking to your Page or enrolling with Facebook Charitable Giving Tools, check to make sure that people are able to add donation stickers on Instagram for your nonprofit.
You can do this by:
- Clicking Publishing Tools at the top of your Facebook Page.
- Then select Donation Settings below Fundraisers.
- Click to check the box next to Allow people to add donation stickers on Instagram Stories and
- Click Save.
See a list of countries where nonprofit fundraising tools are available.
Once you’ve completed these required steps, your organization’s Instagram account is eligible to be fundraised for on Instagram Stories. 100% of the money raised using the Instagram donation sticker goes to the nonprofit. Read more on this here.
If your nonprofit has further questions or requires support, please contact us on Facebook.
Where are these donation features available?
See a list of countries where nonprofit fundraising tools are available on Instagram.
Will nonprofits be charged any fees? Will Instagram make money from donations?
No, we will waive all nonprofit fundraising fees, so 100% of what’s donated via the donation sticker goes to the benefitting nonprofit. Instagram/Facebook will not make any money from the donations.
How much can people donate?
People can donate between $5 to $2500 per contribution. They can also donate multiple times to a fundraiser.
How will I know if people have donated to my fundraiser?
For stories, swipe up on your story to view the total amount raised and donations made by each person. You’ll receive an activity notification when someone has donated to your fundraiser. If you have more than 10k followers, you will only receive notifications from people you are following who are also following you. A total amount raised notification will be sent after a fundraiser story expires and if it raised more than $0. For Live donations tap the “view” button to see your donation activity.
How does my nonprofit receive donations made on Instagram?
Once money raised for your organization reaches the $100 or equivalent minimum donation payout amount, it becomes eligible for a payout. Funds will roll over until the payout amount reaches the $100 threshold per nonprofit. Payouts take 2 weeks to process and will occur bi-weekly as an ACH or direct deposit to your organization’s bank account.
How can I make sure my fundraiser continues even after my story expires?
The fundraiser will last for 24 hours on one story unless you add the story to your profile as a highlight. Adding the story to your profile as a highlight will allow people to continue donating to your fundraiser until you delete the story. If you want to post a fundraiser on multiple stories, you will need to go through the creation process again.
Do people get a notification of how much they raised before their sticker ends?
You can swipe up on your story to view the list of people who donated, how much they donated, and the total amount raised. You’ll also get a notification on the total amount you raised after your fundraiser story expires (if you raised more than $0).