Making the Blood Donation Process Easier
Facebook’s blood donation features make it easy for people to sign up as a blood donor on Facebook and get notified when organizations such as blood banks and hospitals need donors. Your organization can sign up to create posts and events that quickly notify donors nearby.
Over 35 million* people have already signed up to be blood donors on Facebook.
*Source: Facebook, Jan 2019, Number of donors signed up for Facebook Blood Donations.
How Does This Feature Make a Difference
In many countries, there aren’t enough blood donors to help those in need. When someone needs blood, they often reach out to their community for help. Facebook is one of the places they turn to. Our research suggests that if people had better information and tools, more people would donate and those in need could locate donors more quickly. With this new feature, we hope to increase the number of blood donors and help save lives by making it easier for people and organizations to give and request blood donations.
How It Works
People sign up to be blood donors
Organizations create blood donation requests or camps
Facebook notifies nearby donors about camps or requests
Donors go to blood banks and camps and give blood
Host an On-Site Blood Drive
- Host blood drives: to encourage walk-in voluntary blood donations at your blood bank or other donation sites.
- Special occasions: are a great opportunity to host blood donation camps.
- Each day: is an opportunity to encourage voluntary blood donation.
- Remember: No need to specify a particular blood type or host a large event.
Restocking Low Blood Types
Running low on a particular blood type?
- Notify: Facebook can notify nearby donors with your request for specific blood or platelet type.
- Share: Sharing the need on Facebook helps donors know they can make an impact, even if not for a specific individual or cause
- Emergency Request: For individuals in urgent need, Facebook Blood Donations can help you reach out to nearby donors.
- Request Blood Donors: Using Facebook Blood Donations can help contribute to a sustainable supply of blood so that blood banks can provide blood to those who need it.
* Currently Not available in Brazil
To help make it easier for blood banks and hospitals** to maintain a stable blood supply, they now have the ability to create requests for blood on their Facebook Page, helping them reach nearby donors on Facebook.
Admins of approved Pages can create a special type of post that includes where blood is needed, a contact method for donors, and optional information such as the required blood type. People located nearby who have signed up as blood donors may receive a notification about the request and can easily respond if they are available to help.
Your Page must be approved to request blood. If your Page has not yet been approved, please submit an interest form.
How to Create a Blood Donation Request
1. From Android App or Mobile Browser* go to Facebook and search “blood donors”
2. Tap Find Blood Donors
3. Create Post by writing why you need blood donors
4. Select Hospital** or Blood Bank location
5. Under Posting as select your Page
6. Add blood group needed
7. Add contact information
8. Tap Post to publish your request
Your request will post to News Feed and Blood Donations Hub so nearby
donors will be notified of your request
*Currently not available on desktop
** Currently Not available in Brazil
Once you’ve created a Facebook Page and your organization is approved to request blood, your organization can create a blood donation event. Blood donation events give organizations the ability to create events that automatically notify nearby Facebook blood donors.
How To Create a Blood Donation Event:
- From a desktop, click the Events tab in the left hand side bookmarks
- Click Create an Event
- Add the event title, date, time and a short description
- Set the location for your event
- Upload an event cover photo (Ideally 1920 x 1080 pixels or larger with little or no text)
- Click Publish
- After you create an event, Facebook will give you the option to turn it into a Blood Camp
- Confirm the location of your event; use the map to indicate exactly where your event will take place.
- Based on your location Facebook will notify matching blood donors in the area
With the blood donations feature, nonprofits, health organizations and blood banks can more efficiently promote their blood camps to people nearby who have signed up to be donors on Facebook.
The blood donations feature allows your organization to create a blood camp event that will be amplified to nearby donors who have signed up on Facebook. To take advantage of this opportunity:
- Ensure your organization has a Verified Facebook page.
- Submit an interest form to start the sign-up process for your organization. A Facebook representative will call you.
- Set up your event from your Verified Facebook Page at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Must be held at a location with medical staff onsite (e.g., hospital, blood bank)
- Include a photo or description
- For registered organizations, Facebook will amplify your event with notifications to nearby donors.
Recommended Best Practices
- Create your event on Facebook at least 2 weeks before the date of the event so you can promote it and Facebook can notify nearby donors.
- Tell the community why it is important to donate now.
- Include any helpful directions and photos.
- Respond to people interested in your event.
- Promote your event to reach more people.
- Encourage attendees to sign up as donors on Facebook by including facebook.com/donateblood in promotions.
- Share the results on the event page after it is complete to let people know the impact that was made.
- Your Page must be approved for blood donation events. If your Page has not yet been approved, please submit an interest form here.