Helping More People Get the Blood They Need.
Over 50 million* people have signed up to be blood donors on Facebook. Approved organizations can create requests that notify nearby blood donors when there is a need for blood.
Facebook’s Blood Donation features are available to approved organizations in Bangladesh, Brazil, India, Pakistan and the United States. Blood banks or hospitals in those countries may currently apply to partner with Facebook.
*Source: Facebook, Jan 2019, Number of donors signed up for Facebook Blood Donations.
How This Feature Helps Blood Banks and Hospitals
In many countries, there are too few blood donors to provide everyone with reliable access to safe blood. Often potential donors don’t know when and where to donate, however our research suggests that when donors have information and opportunities to give, they step up to help their community. The Facebook Blood Donations feature informs people who want to donate about nearby opportunities to do so.
Connecting Donors with Blood Banks
Since 2017, Facebook has partnered with blood donation centers around the world to help increase the number of donors. By connecting people who want to help donate with opportunities to give, we can contribute to a more stable and sufficient supply of blood. Facebook partnered with blood banks in India and Brazil to conduct in-person surveys and found that 20% of people** said that Facebook influenced their decision to donate blood.
**Source: Facebook, Oct-Nov 2018
Aarohi Blood Bank
Aarohi Uses Facebook to Increase Blood Donations for Children with Thalassemia
Fortis Hospital Mulund
Fortis Mulund Increases Voluntary Donations with Facebook’s Blood Donations Feature
Hemorio Blood Bank
Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Hemorio Increases Blood Donations By 10% By Leveraging the Power of Facebook
Hemoce Blood Bank
Hemoce Partners With Facebook to Boost Voluntary Blood Donations
How It Works
People sign up to be blood donors
Approved organizations create blood donation requests
Facebook notifies nearby donors
Donors go to blood banks and give blood
Blood Donation Features
Standard notifications regularly notify nearby donors about your general need for blood and platelet donors.
Blood Donation Requests
Blood donation requests notify nearby donors about your need for donations, and allow you to indicate what types of blood are needed. Blood can be requested regularly to keep your blood supply stable, when you are low on specific blood types, during a holiday/event, or during a crisis when your blood supply is depleted.
Blood Donation Page Posts
- Posts can help you build relationships with your donors.
- Engage with your donor community by responding to questions on posts, or thank them for giving blood.
- Educate community about blood donation, your organization’s mission, or specific populations you support (e.g. thalassemia).
- Promote specific holidays and awareness days to drive voluntary donation.
- Optimize your Page
– Upload a good profile picture, preferably your logo.
– Upload a cover photo, such as a picture of your facility or an image that resonates with your organization’s mission.
– Personalize the description of your organization.
– Make sure your organization’s hours are up-to-date.
- Create Engaging Posts
– Make posts that educate, inform, and thank current/future donors.
– Share updates about your organization.
– Share real life stories of donors and successful donations.
– Use post scheduling to schedule content during ideal times.
– Experiment with frequency of posts.
– Communicate with people who comment on your posts.
- Aim for Quality
– Posts with photos and videos receive more likes, comments and clicks.
– Keep posts short and succinct.
– Create content and share links that work well on mobile.
- When to Post
– Post on holidays and awareness days.
– Engage and educate donors by thanking donors, highlighting success stories, or dispelling myths about blood donation.
– Post during a crisis, such as a natural disaster or epidemic.
- Sign Up More Blood Donors on Facebook
– Use the below copy in your promotional material to invite your new and existing donors to sign up as donors on Facebook. “Now it’s easier to donate blood and help save lives. You can help by signing up to be a blood donor on Facebook at facebook.com/donateblood.
Once you sign up, you’ll get notified on Facebook when there are blood donation needs near you.”