What are groups?Facebook groups let you create specific communities of people who interact directly with each other. You can use groups to share exclusive updates, photos or events, and group members can coordinate through comments, collaborate on documents and message other group members. Groups can be public, closed or secret.
When should I use groups for my charity?
Groups are helpful for communicating with a segment of your supporters. They’re a great way to coordinate activities with or provide exclusive content to a select set of people.
How to create a group
- From your Page, go to the Groups section in the menu on the left-hand side and click Create group.
- Click “Create New Group” at the top of the page; A window will appear, where you’ll be able to add a group name, add members and select the privacy settings for your group.
- Click Create when you’ve finished.
Once the group has been created, you’ll be taken to the group. Go to Edit group settings to add a description, tags, profile picture and cover photo, and set up a group email address that people can use to post directly to the group. You can join and create up to 6,000 groups.
For all types of groups (public, closed and secret), members can add people they are friends with on Facebook. You can also invite supporters you aren’t friends on Facebook with by clicking “Invite by email” in the top-right of your group to send an email. Another way to attract group members is by talking to people off Facebook. If your group is public or closed, they’ll be able to send a request to join.
To add new members to a group:
- Go to the group.
- Click the + Add people to group field in the right-hand column.
- Type your friends’ names and click on them to add them to the group.
Privacy settings control how visible your group is. Depending on the goals for your group, the type of privacy setting you have may change.
- Public groups: Public groups are searchable and all content is publicly visible. If you choose this privacy setting, you should expect to monitor the requests to join the group.
- Closed groups: Closed groups are searchable and anyone can request to join them, but group posts and information are only visible to members.
- Secret groups: Secret groups are not searchable on Facebook and can only be seen by members. All members have to be added by someone in the group. This can be a good option if you’re using groups for beta testing or getting feedback from a small set of people.