What is Instagram?
Instagram allows you to reach a diverse, global community who connect and share around all types of topics in creative and engaging ways. We imagine a world that is more connected via shared experiences, captured with photos and videos. If something is happening, it’s likely being captured on Instagram. And your charity should be there.
When should my charity use Instagram?
An image or video conveys a powerful and emotional message regardless of geography or language. As a visual storytelling platform, Instagram can help your charity reach your audience and drive results. Use Instagram to share your mission, advocate for support and visually show people the impact that your charity is making.
How can my charity use Instagram?
- Educate your community about your cause and update them on your organisation
- Show the impact your charity is making with photos and videos using feed posts, Instagram Stories, multi-posts and Live
- Find and connect with new and existing supporters who share your passion
- Engage your community by creating opportunities for people to interact with you and each other
- Inspire people to take action by spreading the word, attending events, volunteering or donating funds
Set up an Instagram Business account to give people
more information about your organisation
Download and launch the app
Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, for Android from the Google Play store or for Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store. Once the app has been installed on your mobile phone, tap to open it.
Let us know who you are
Tap Sign Up, then enter your email address and tap Next, or tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
Set up a free business profile
Within the app, find Settings, then scroll down to Switch to business account. When you have a business account, you can add pertinent business information such as opening hours, a business address or a phone number. Create a business profile.
Post and follow users
Start posting content that you’d like to see in your feed using relevant hashtags, and start following similar accounts for ideas about how to create compelling content.
Instagram best practices
- Define your unique visual voice. Visual storytelling is central to Instagram. When you’re starting your account, it’s important to be clear about the story that it will tell. What’s the thing that your organisation is uniquely able to share? It’s important that your account is relevant to who you are, and feels authentic and consistent.
- Post regularly. Instagram is a community and the more time you put into it, the more your efforts will be rewarded. It’s important to post regularly and maintain a high bar for all of your content.
- Tell a story. Charities and non-profit organisations are often rich with compelling stories and imagery – and Instagram is a great way to visually share and bring them to a new audience. Through Instagram, you have the opportunity to bring more people into your world to create empathy, raise awareness and build support for your work.
- Use video. People are increasingly looking for and engaging with video on Instagram. Whether it be candid or produced, sharing videos is a must for charities and non-profit organisations. Share compelling and genuine moments (e.g. volunteers at work, of someone you’ve helped, an upcoming fundraiser, an inside look at your team in action) using Instagram Stories or Live – it can take your account to the next level.
- Engage the community. Discovery is at the core of Instagram. Use relevant, popular hashtags to help more people discover your content. Be an active part of the community by responding to comments on your posts, tagging relevant handles, and following others and liking their photos.
- Have a call to action: If you are in the middle of a fundraising or advocacy campaign, include a strong call to action in your posts. You can drive visitors from Instagram to learn more through your blog, make a donation or sign up to volunteer by including a link in your bio.
- Experiment with Instagram Stories. Instagram Stories is a new way to tell your organisation’s story, get people to rally around your cause, and bring your organisation and mission to life. Use Instagram Stories to peel back the curtain and create a connection between your work and your followers.
- Share more in one post. Combine up to 10 photos and videos in one post and swipe through to see them all. Non-profit organisations and charities can use this feature in a number of creative ways, from featuring supporters and highlighting images of impact, to sharing different angles and perspectives around the same event.