Raise AwarenessUse Facebook to raise awareness for your cause.
Knowing your audience is essential for creating posts people will engage with. On Facebook, people share interests and opinions, and they’re more likely to like, comment on and share posts that reflect their own perspective. Here are ideas for creating content that is relevant to your audience:
- Make your posts timely, based on seasonal and current events
- Ask yourself whether your own friends would share the content you’re about to post
- Think about what kind of content supporters probably want to see in News Feed before you post
- Research your target audience’s interests and talk about them in your posts
- Connect your cause to other posts people are already engaging with on Facebook
TIP: Many people view Facebook on a mobile phone, so always consider what your post will look like on a small screen. Aim to grab attention with simple, short posts. Before linking to a website, check how it looks on a phone first.
Facebook is a place where people connect with friends and communicate in a personal, casual way. Organizations tend to succeed when they also use a conversational, authentic style. Overly formal language can feel out of place. When writing a message, whether it’s funny or serious, think about how you’d write it to a friend. Posts that evoke emotion often stand out in News Feed. Inspiring, solutions-oriented messages are often the most engaging. Placing blame or otherwise alienating others can be offensive and typically doesn’t lead to high engagement.
TIP: Aim for clear, compelling, brief headlines when posting a link. People prefer headlines that help them decide whether to read the full article, rather than click bait or long summaries.
TIP: Voice and style guidelines can help Page admins stay consistent when writing posts. This is especially useful if multiple people actively post from your organization’s Page. Refine the guidelines based on what you see resonating with followers.
Facebook is a great place to humanize your organization to supporters. People want to know what motivates your work and who the people are behind your efforts.
- Share relevant personal stories from members of your organization that showcase their experiences
- Be honest about the ups and downs of your organization by celebrating successes and reflecting on setbacks
- Post on-the-ground stories from the field or photos of events
- Post behind-the-scenes photos and videos of your team at work
- Have a dialogue with supporters by asking for feedback about what they love about what you do and what they’d like to see improved. Learn more about creating a dialogue in Strengthen Relationships.
Create a Facebook Strategy
Learn what goes into creating an effective Facebook strategy to ensure you get the most out of your online efforts.