The Shelter Pet Project’s goal is to make shelters in the first place that potential adopters turn to when looking to get a new pet, ensuring that all healthy and treatable pets find loving homes.
The Shelter Pet Project successfully leveraged local and national organisations’ resources in one campaign to create relevant, market-specific content.
- Facebook ads drove more than 51,000 searches for adoptable pets on The Shelter Pet Project website.
- The advertising was very memorable. Ad recall jumped 15 points with exposure to the campaign (41 per cent for the control group, and 56 per cent for the exposed group).
Drive Facebook users to TheShelterPetProject.org
The Local Legends programme is an advertising campaign that highlights the wonderful and unique qualities of pets in local shelters and rescue groups, with the intention of encouraging residents to visit the Shelter Pet Project to search for their own amazing, adoptable pet.
- Ads: Used images in carousel ads to tell a story
Just over thirty shelters and rescue organisations received kits from Facebook; these kits included props for photographs, such as trophies and stopwatches, as well as a record book, which detailed the various records shelter pets across the US could “break”. These organisations then submitted pictures of their star pets for targeted ad units in each relevant market.
- Moderation of posts: Team should be prepared for engagement on ads and prepared with directions on how to provide immediate responses to questions and concerns that may arise.
- Effective communication: Collaboration with multiple stakeholders – in this case, over 30 local organisations – requires frequent communication and clear expectations and guidelines set at the outset of the engagement.
- Clear branding guidelines: Participating organisations should receive clear guidelines with regards to visuals and copy to ensure consistency across ad units.
- Flexibility and real-time updates: Team should evaluate how ads are performing across metrics in real-time and be prepared to revise copy, visuals and content accordingly to maximise performance.