World Blood Donor Day
Facebook’s blood donation features make it easy for people to sign up as a blood donor on Facebook and get notified when organizations such as blood banks and hospitals need donors. Your organization can sign up to create posts and events that quickly notify donors nearby
Making the Blood Donation Process Easier
Last October we launched new blood donation features on Facebook to make it easier for people to sign up as blood donors, and for organizations like blood banks to reach donors for blood camps and in times of need.
People sign up to be blood donors
Organizations create blood donation requests or camps
Facebook notifies nearby donors about camps or requests
Over 8 million* people have already signed up to be blood donors on Facebook.
*Source: Facebook, May 15th, 2018, Number of donors signed up for Facebook Blood Donations
To make it easier for blood banks and hospitals to maintain a stable blood supply, they now have the ability to create requests for blood on their Facebook Page, helping them reach nearby donors on Facebook.
Admins of approved Pages can create a special type of post that includes where blood is needed, a contact method for donors, and optional information such as the required blood type. People located nearby who have signed up as blood donors may receive a notification about the request and can easily respond if they are available to help.
Your Page must be approved to request blood. If your Page has not yet been approved, please submit an
How to Create a Blood Donation Request
1. Create Post
- From Android App or Mobile Browser*
- Go to Facebook and search “blood donors”
- Tap Find Blood Donors
2. Add Details
- Write why you need blood donors
- Under ‘Posting as’ select your Page
- Select Hospital location
- Add contact information
- Add blood type needed
- Tap Post
- Your request will post to News Feed and nearby
donors will be notified of your request
*Currently not available on desktop
Once you’ve created a Facebook Page and your organization is approved to request blood, your organization can create a blood donation event. Blood donation events give organizations the ability to create events that automatically notify nearby Facebook blood donors.
How to create a blood donation event:
- From a desktop, click the Events tab in the left hand side bookmarks
- Click Create an Event
- Add the event title, date, time and a short description
- Set the location for your event
- Upload an event cover photo (Ideally 1920 x 1080 pixels or larger with little or no text)
- Click Publish
- After you create an event, Facebook will give you the option to turn it into a Blood Camp
- Confirm the location of your event; use the map to indicate exactly where your event will take place.
- Based on your location Facebook will notify matching blood donors in the area
If you do not have one already, your organization will need a Facebook Page to to utilize Facebook’s blood donation feature. Creating a Page takes a few minutes.
How to create a Facebook Page:
- Go to facebook.com/pages/create.
- Give your page a title (Organization Name)
- Select ‘Company & Organizations’ as your Page type
- Select your Page subcategory
- Add a profile photo (Organization’s Logo)
- Add a cover photo that showcases your programs (820 pixels wide by 312 pixels tall)
- Only official representatives can create a Page for an organization, business, brand or public figure.
- You can access your Page from the left hand bookmarks on your personal Profile
- For further questions about creating a Facebook Page please visit the Facebook Help Center